Thursday, February 16, 2006

DID ANYONE REALLY THINK THIS WOULD WORK? (Part 1)

The marketers must have worked overtime to make the new Medicare drug benefit so complex that informed choice is impossible. I've now helped half a dozen people through the choices; I've been on the web site and signed people up to a plan I was confident was the best choice for them, only to find out that there are parts of the contract unrevealed until you've made the contract.
The first thing that happened was the co-pays changed. The PBM said that the web-accessible information was really just a suggestion - it wasn't supposed to be 100% reliable.

Great.


I have looked at all forty-seven plans available in my zip code; things one might want to know are not ON the CMS site - only some of the comparison data. If you REALLY want to be a good shopper, you should visit each plan's web site, and maybe also make a call and inquire if you have other questions. Of course, when I did that, the marketer on the telephone said she didn't know, but after I signed up I'd be sent that information.

In today's America, conscientious health care consumers must be deceived and coerced before finally relenting to buy a pig in a poke.

crossposted at http://www.signalhealth.com/node/582

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home